Saturday, November 17, 2007

Fri Sat Sun 16-18 Nov 2007 Feeling good, Ready for Monday

Friday I went to the have blood drawn for a full count, including a cancer count, which I will get on Monday - seeing the oncologist before chemo starts. On Friday afternoon I got totally spoilt as my niece came to visit me and gave me a pedicure, she has also committed to come to the chemo room on Monday to give me a foot massage during my 5 ½ chemo session. I hope she can make Monday as she is 39 weeks pregnant! My mom has gone to spend the week-end with my brother Leon, Marietjie, 3 dogs, 2 parrots and a horse to visit.

Saturday the weather was absolutely stunning! Definitely the kind of day that must be spent outdoors pottering around in the garden. Anet dropped in with a big bowl of left-over trifle for the men in the house (teenage men do know how to consume food!). Ian took me to the local shopping mall (first time out for me with a scarf on the head) as we needed to get some birthday gifts for nieces today and tomorrow. With both Ian and I coming from families of 4 children, there are many nieces and only a handful of nephews. I find that about 2% of people stare at me…. I am going to ask them what they staring at! Have they never seen a person with a ‘doek’ (Afrikaans for scarf) on the head!! At home I walk around with my bare head – I must admit, it is a well shaped skull that I have - must be all the years of mental work!

I received the medical details from the very nice lady who phoned me during the week. Once you get into the detail, there are many surprises in terms of the medical costs and how they are processed / what is not covered by the medical aid and what is processed as normal day to day expenses rather then related to oncology. The recommendation is that I change schemes, which will more that double my monthly contributions. I will phone her later next week when I feel a bit better as I have a few questions on some costs not covered.

The next post will be published once I feel a bit better after chemo.

8 comments:

tamlyn said...

Hi

Hope that tomorrow goes well and that you are feeling better soon after it.

Tamlyn

Anonymous said...

We will all be thinking of you this evening in Oz (your daytime) as you go through your next chemo session. Be strong! It was really great talking to you on Saturday, and I am glad to hear you sounding exactly like the Alida I know!

Love

Iain, Debi & Jaryd in Sydney

Kendra's mom said...

Good luck with the chemo today.

Isabel-Anne Meeding said...

Dear Alida, trying the blog again. It has been giving me an error message the past few days. Hope you are doing fine today....I am not sute how long the drip takes to run through, how long the whole procedure takes and whether you are sleeping or reading while you are there... your candle is lit... May you feel better every time after a session... thinking of you

Anonymous said...

Hi Alida & family
We hope the day goes well & you dont feel to rough afterwards!
Captain, you look stunning in the pic. My ears also grew the second I did my head.
All the best Alida and our thoughts remain with you constantly.
The Louws

Jan said...

Hi Alida,

I visited my friend, who had the surgery a week ago and he really looked good and was mentally strong. I am sure you will be same!
Before you know your life will be back to normal. You might miss the massages though.

RicharD said...

Thoughts prayers and wishes are the armour of the day. Draw on the inner strength we all know you have. VASBYT.

thought of you all day today CHEMO DAY.

Ei said...

Hi Alida - thinking of you and hope that maybe this time round the treatment effects are easier to handle and hoping that your positive attitude is still winning out!!