Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Eyebrows and eyelashes

Monday morning I went to the hospital to do all the pre-admission paperwork and the medical assessment. The hospital keeps your records active for 3 months only, so I had to go through the whole procedure again. Charmaine, the lovely lady who helped me, even phoned the medical aid on my behalf and received all the necessary approvals. I have relayed my whole medical history again and signed all the papers to receive surgery and blood transfusion if necessary. Everything is now in order for Monday 11 Feb, 16h30. Friday I have to go for blood tests again and Monday 4 Feb I see Dr V for my pre-operation scan and check up.

One only realises that hair, eyebrows and eyelashes have an important function when you don’t have them. On hot summer days little beads of perspiration form on your head. Normally the bulk of your hair would absorb this moisture and you would feel the dampness in your hair. With no hair, these little droplets form larger rivulets than run from your head down your neck, sides of your face and down your forehead and straight INTO YOUR EYES, causing your eyes to burn like hell!! On top of that we have been having lots of wind causing every little dust particle to be attracted to my eyes. So when you see me with red swollen eyes and tears rolling down my cheeks, it is just the heat and dust doing this to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every time I read your blog my heart fills up - with sadness and joy and love. It's almost a physical feeling inside my chest. I admire you for the way you are dealing with all the challenges life is throwing at you. I find it so hard to say the things I feel to you in person, but I want you to know that I love you very much and you have touched my life in so many ways - both before and after your illness.
All my love,
Sian
x x x

Ei said...

Sian - beautifully said.

Alida, you've helped kick up the dust in many lives with a very healing effect. By all accounts you remain a remarkable woman and we continue to pray for your healing.

"There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.”