Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Schedule 1 completed

My aunt Hennie popped around Sunday to say goodbye as they head back to Singapore after a Christmas break with their children and grandchild. Her son-in-law lost his dad over the week-end due to lung cancer, which was diagnosed 20 weeks ago. Cancer can progress so quickly. Monday I completed my last round of chemo in this session. The operation is set for Monday 11 Feb, late in the afternoon. I still need to get medical approval for the operation and will do this next week, once I feel a bit better. Post the histology of all that will be removed from my abdomen, the next steps will be agreed, but I am preparing myself for another 2 to 3 rounds of chemo as per the original chats with the Docs. The boys went back to school today and I love the ‘normal’ routine. For the first time in my life and their lives I have been a full time mom and a sick one in that. It has been quite a learning experience for all 3 of us. I am experiencing the normal cycle of nausea and the bones are starting to ache along with a dumbness is my fingers.

5 comments:

nat said...

Hi
I had the numbness too. It helped me when I started taking a b-complex vitamin. It REALLY helped when I started taking about 5-7 grams of l-glutamine powder every three days or so mixed with juice. My numbness in my hands and feet nearly went away - just some residual stuff now.
I was on taxol and carboplatin. I'm not sure what you are on, but you may want to ask your doc about the l-glutamine.
I hope you feel better real soon!

Anonymous said...

my anticonvulsants leave my fingers and toes numb - i cannot imagine what you are enduring.

glad that the boys are back in school and routine rules.

tess

Anonymous said...

It's always nail biting at this time, when your blog is at its quietest... wondering how it's going - how you holding out?
Ei

Isabel-Anne Meeding said...

Dear Alida, busy finishing off the last things at my old job. Have a long checklist to go through, finding a new medical aid and even selling my employee stocks- both activities that I feel very uncertain about. But, today is the day that I sell the stocks! According to your sms last night you had a good weekend and is feeling better? I am glad. Please send me the business card of the contact person who is coordinating the Riddell meals for February during and post your operation, so that I can plan my fozen meals cooking weekend in advance? Be well, dear friend. We are all more than looking in from the outside. Praying and keeping you in our thoughts!

Anonymous said...

People should read this.