Friday, January 4, 2008

Chemo Round 4 rescheduled

This morning I went for the routine blood tests that are done before chemo to check that the body has recovered enough to allow the next round of chemo to occur. Around lunch time the oncology practice phoned me to say that my white blood cells are way too low for chemo to occur on Monday. Effectively it is my immune fighters that are way below normal. Explains why I have been feeling tired and I was even having a little ‘rest’ when the practice phoned. The oncology nurse reiterated that I must take it easy, must have my rests and keep visitors to a minimum! Nobody with any form of sniffle, cough, temperature, etc may come close to me and crowded places are a no-go zone. Sigh. By this afternoon I had learnt that I need a special once off dosage of white cell generators but this takes 48 hours for the medical aid to approve. The plan is that I get this at the chemo room on Tuesday, more blood tests Wednesday morning and chemo planned for Thurs 10 Jan.

4 comments:

Kendra's mom said...

Hi and a happy new year to you and your family. I hope things go well next week and your white blood cells bounce back stronger than ever. I will be thinking of you.

By the way, you look great on that horse. Love the 'head-do'.

Anonymous said...

Hey there, just done some catching up on your blog. I am so touched by the realisation of some of Thembi's dreams ... and you made that possible Alida, blessings to you, and everyone else who contributed xx

I honour your strength throughout this process, and allowing yourself to touch your emotional vulnerability is in a bizarre way giving your emotional self a gift of growth. Sending light and energy to your immune system.

Much love

Unknown said...

It's good to know that having a 'little rest' and taking it easy includes lunch in the relaxed and peaceful setting of a wine farm. It certainly works for me.

I trust the magic potion you'll be getting on Tuesday kicks those white blood cells into action.

Isabel-Anne Meeding said...

Dear Alida, thinking of you!