Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tues 23 Oct 07 Frustration

I was reminded today that I did not include my role as Cousin. Jandre, you will be pleased to see that I have changed my profile.

A hugely frustrating day….. after a few phone calls to the hospital I was told that the medical aid request is not submitted yet…. I am pulling out my hair (hehehehe only got hair for about another 4 weeks – I will explain the chemo plan in a future post). On the good side, Dr L (my oncologist) phoned me personally and told me all will be ok. I will get chemo next week. Got my CA125 (cancer count). It is 171. Unfortunately we don’t have a count before the tumour was removed – Dr L said it would have been more than double. Our target is to see it between 0-30.

Hennie, my moms sister, phoned me from Dubai this morning. After some chats, explanations and tears, she said something that resonated with me. My dear gran (my mom & Hennie’s mom) was diagnosed with ‘female organ’ cancer that has spread to the bladder some 40 years ago….. sound familiar ???? After quite some intensive treatment my gran lived into her nineties!!!!

Last week Tuesday while still in hospital, Dr V asks me politely if I have “passed wind yet”. I answer “No” fairly shyly. Later that evening Ian, Dylan and Sean are visiting during the permitted hour. I get up slowing and walk to the bathroom to relieve my bladder. I would not say I was walking…. More like floating with a carrot stuck deep into my behind. I relieve my bladder, and ‘gosh’ I pass wind. From my toilet seat I hear Dylan and Sean say “ Oh @#$, MOM IS BACK” (I think the whole E ward heard Alida has arrived). Fortunately I opted for a private room.

11 comments:

Jan said...

Hi Alida,

A lot of positive news in this last posting! I read you start to be you again being frustrated the process is not 100% as it should be ;)

elzabe said...

I read about you on Tersia's blog. Will follow your battle and be thinking about you.

It is my mom's 60th birthday on the 29th and my brothers new baby (Mia) will also be born on that day. I think it is a good day - excelent sign!

Good luck.

tamlyn said...

Hi

Mom sent me the details of ur blog. Just wanted to say we are thinking about u. Please give my love to Ian and the boys

Tamlyn

Isabel-Anne Meeding said...

Dear Alida, I buy orange 'poppies' at the flower stand for myself some times. Arms full, with bees. Busy, busy they are and me scared, always, that some of them land in the car wanting to come home with me... That is my wish for you today the color orange, though brittle and very soft these ones, a honey pot for bees, and with such strong green stems... they last a long long time, and continue to open even if they seem to be picked too early... Isabel-Anne

Tertia said...

Toot toot!

Glad your aunt told you the story about your gran, that is great to have as hope and promise.

Has the chemo quote come through yet?? Have they got their arse in gear yet? WAKE UP MARSHA ;-)

Thinking of you, proud of you.

xx

Jeanna Dew said...

Hi Alida,

You don't know me but I'm a fellow Capetonian and came to you through Tertia.
Just wanting to extend a hand and wish you courage and wisdom in the day-to-day journey you're now on.

Strength and love to you!
Jeanne

Mandy said...

Hi there Alida,
You don'y know me, but I read about you on Tertia's Blog. I also went for a check-up in June 2007, because my husband and I are trying to get pregnant, when I found out that I have Cin3 Cancer of the Cervix. What a shock! Especially since we want babies so desperately. The Dr's removed it and the lab report that came back said that it was completely removed. I am 27 years old and I was not ready to start thinking about chemo and radiation so I was fairly pleased when the operation was a success. I just hope and pray that we can conceive soon, but there is a bit of trouble in that department as well (PCOS and Endometriosis). Well, all I wanted to say was please keep fighting! No matter how hard it gets. We will all be rooting for you! You are an inspiration for us younger gals who also have to face the big C. Lots of love and prayers!

mary ann said...

My mom has stage III ovarian cancer. Last October, she thought she had a stomach flu. She went to the doctor, they diagnosed her as constipated. She told her doctor that they were incorrect. They gave her laxatives. Five days later she was at the ER, still as sick as ever but now with bonus dehydration.

One CT and a colonoscopy later, it was diagnosed as ovarian cancer, spread to the instestines, liver, etc. She's now just over one year out, and she says "aside from the cancer, I feel fantastic". She's still actively battling, just finished radiation and became intolerant to another chemo.

All my best.

Megan said...

Hi,
I don't even know you, but I just wanted you to know I'll be keeping you in my thoughts in Atlanta, Georgia. My Dad just completed chemo for colon cancer a couple of months ago, and now he has a clean bill of health! Chemo is rough, but you can do it! I work in a children's hospital and see them recovering from cancer every day. Cancer is not the death knell that it once was, but I understand the anxiety and sadness you are feeling. I'm glad you're being careful to indulge yourself right now! Please keep up the good work!

Erwin said...

Hoy Alida,

Good your aunt Hennie explained that your gran fought the monster successfully..Go 4 it..that's reassuring info.

RicharD said...

Safmarine HR team asked me to pass onto you ALL their love and wishes / prayers. You have more people rooting for you now than the BOKKE had - Just go win the CUP now ..

:o)