Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Monday 22 Oct Share the news

Had a bad night again in terms of sleep. Woke up at 0430 with a huge pain in my right side. At 0530 gulped to 2 painkillers and slept until 0700 with the pain still in my side - it was there the whole day (quite a bit to get used too.... sleepless painful nights..... uuurrrgggghhhhh )

The mission for today was to share my news personally with close work colleagues. I have now done this... It was an emotionally exhausting day.

Dylan and Sean read the posts today - it was really good for them to understand the illness and all the emotions - well done boys!

Quite a few friends popped by during the day and evening (Ally, Anet, Caron, Sanche & Ets) and I must thank all friends for the sms's and the comments on the posts. You do not realise the impact you are having on me and my family. Thank-you x x

The Oncology clinic was meant to phone me today. By lunchtime I had phoned them 3 times and on the 3rd attempt a lovely patient lady told me that they will be phoning me but they are still waiting for medical aid approval for the treatment. I want to scream "dont worry, I will pay for it myself" - I lesson in patience for myself coming thru this. I have been assured that chemo will start Mon 29 Oct. We have to starting fighting the cancer.

I have started spoiling myself on a different level. Ian bought me a few really nice PJs from an upmarket shop ( the general shops seem to target PJ's for the teens - I certainly cannot see
my 46 year old body in them.... Ian says he has no problem visualising me in them, but I will leave it at that). Also buying a few new duvet covers and a siesta blanket. Need to make my future environment really nice to be in.

(my personal email : alida@seadylsolutions.co.za ... for those who wish to mail )

9 comments:

RicharD said...

Whole team wobbly as well. Just shows how things happen and least when you expect them.

I think I personally tried to deny the situauion when you first told me.. and then after "recovering" have rallied up the troops to cover the bases and TIM has jumped in like a champion.

Johan has also been down to see the team and I am sure you going to be real proud of how they are all going to work together.

Tertia said...

Glad you are making a cozy nest for yourself. It is important to make a safe, comforting space for yourself.

Look forward to seeing you. Am going to try pop over today.

xxxxxxxxxx

Unknown said...

Devastating news as I know you to be omnipotent!! My love and support to you and Ian. I recall my 'wobbly' last year when you had such kind words. So, right back at you - wishing you much strength, and lots more Brut bubbly!

Gerda said...

Liefste Alida ,
Ik wens je veel sterkte maar je zal zeker overwinnen ,wanneer kom je terug naar Belgie we zullen alvast afspreken .
Dikke zoenen en een warme knuffel
Gerda

Unknown said...

Hi Alida,

you don't know me from a bar of soap but I work with Ian at Medi-Clinic and came to know about your operation after noticing his absence last week.

I enquired this morning on your progress and was shocked to hear that you have been diagnosed with cancer. I just want to say that my heart bleed this morning when I heard the news and have given Ian thoughts and prayers in an email.

I think the blog is a great idea and am sure that you will find lots of inspiration, compassion and support from a vast amount of people by doing it. Well done to you for being open about your journey. It will give Ian and your boys an excellent opportunity to have an inside view of emotions that cannot always be spoken. You are already healing many wounds by doing this.

I will be reading your blog regularly.

Good luck with the chemo.

Lizette Bain

Oli said...

Alida, I am so sorry to hear the news, but have no doubt that with the strength that you radiate you will fight this one well!

All my love

Olivia

Jan said...

Dear Alida, like always shocked when you read this terrible news. I have plenty of friends who have or have had cancer and I go and visit them as much as I can. Most of them get over it, because they have the strenght and the will to get cured. Knowing you, I am sure you will do same, no doubt about this. I will be in South Africa early december and if you don't mind I will pop in. Good you started this blog and share your emotions! Keep strong, my dear

Unknown said...

Another bar of soap you don't know. I've come over via Tertia. I agree wholeheartedly with Lizette. Your blog is a super idea and I think you will be amazed about the "inspiration, compassion and support from a vast amount of people." Wishing you all the strength and energy needed.

Orange said...

Another blog-pal of Tertia's stopping by to wish you strength and support.

It is lucky that you have sons and not daughters. My cousin's mother had ovarian cancer, and her mother's mother died of uterine and ovarian cancer in the 1960s, so my cousin is at risk for hereditary ovarian cancer. She's had her ovaries removed preventively, but still faces a small risk of the peritoneal tumor variant of ovarian cancer.

My aunt often got a huge burst of energy with each round of chemo and would go on a shopping spree with my cousin. (Her chemo side effects wouldn't kick in until the day after.)

Best wishes to you, Alida.