Friday, April 18, 2008

Neupogen injection

Wednesday evening Ian and I had a lovely dinner with Sean opting to stay at home to give us “alone time”. Thursday I popped into the office for a few hours. It was lovely to see everybody again but exhausting to spend a few hours concentrating! I slept really well last night! This morning I phoned the oncology clinic and I am still waiting for the return call as the Neupogen injection is still not approved. (Neupogen is used to stimulate the production of granulocytes (a type of white blood cell) in patients undergoing therapy that will cause low white blood cell counts. Neupogen is used to prevent infection and neutropenic (low white blood cells) fevers caused by chemotherapy.) I actually doubt that I will receive the injection this round.

In this week I have been doing some thinking around the human body and its amazing ability to recover from injury and illness. It is truly amazing when you start understanding what happens when an infection hits the body and when you see how fast people recover from severe operations and therapy. The human body must surely still amaze the most dedicated scientists and we must be grateful for our bodies. When you are healthy you never think for a second about healthy cells, healthy blood counts, etc but once you know how you feel when your blood counts are not normal you get a new appreciation for healthy blood counts and look forward to feeling that ‘normal’ level of energy again.