Thursday, March 20, 2008

Neutropenia

After about an hour wait on Tuesday I finally saw Dr L. We had quite some discussion around the fact that my neutrophils are not recovering. This is caused by repeated cycles of chemo and my body is reacting by going on a “bone marrow strike”. Five days on Medrol (Medrol has many uses in the treatment of cancer. Medrol is most often as a supportive care medication. Medrol is classified as a glucocorticosteroid - www.chemocare.com) and my neutrophils have not recovered at all, so Dr L has extended the medication for another 5 days. My problem is that this is a cortisone type drug and I have a real mental block against them. I can see the daily weight gain which I hope is only water that I will disappear once I am off the drug again. I was really enjoying my new body at the reduced weight! Just for information, this is my fourth round on Medrol, I just seem to need more and more of the drug to stimulate the bone marrow. Dr L is going to reduce the taxol and carboplatin (chemo drugs) by 10% for the coming chemo round thereby hoping that I will not need cell boosting and extension in the schedule. Next round now scheduled for Wed 26 March (pending blood tests Tues 25th).

Wednesday this week I decided to try something new to averted the chemo side effects. I booked myself for an Ozone (pure oxygen) injection at the homeopath/medical doctor. The recommendation is that I must have 10 injections initially and then reduce to one injection before and after each chemo session. The injection today was really painful and I have quite a swollen elbow. I just wonder if the precious air went into my vein or the surrounding tissue… more like it went into the tissue and it feels bruised just like when the IV in the hospital started seeping into my soft tissues. I asked Dr L about this Tuesday and she said it would give me more energy but would not do anything for my blood counts but I still think it is worth a shot. I will wait a day to two to see if I feel better and to see how my arm settles before making the next appointment.

Today the first term of our school year comes to an end. Dylan and Sean will be home for 3.5 weeks again – seems like yesterday when they had their summer school holidays. Colin, my brother, arrives today from the UK for an Easter week-end visit to Cape Town. It is going to be great seeing and sharing with him.
Ian says my site is lacking humour… sorry, but is reflecting what I am feeling at the moment… lots of frustrations and irritability.

No comments: