Thursday, February 5, 2009

5th round rescheduled

The operation went through successfully and it will take about a week to settle pain and sensitivity wise. Yesterday around 9am I started nagging the nursing staff for my discharge. I just wanted to get out the hospital and down to the trials unit so that they could start with all the testing and checking before chemo is administered. I eventually phoned the surgeon’s rooms and his assistant contacted him and reverted saying he would be with me in 10 minutes to do the discharge. Finally at 9h30 I was out the hospital and at clinical trials only to hear that I would not be getting chemo. The last batch of the drug underwent a problem with the refrigeration process meaning the drug was not to be used. They tried to source alternative drugs from other trial units in South Africa, with no success. The only option now is to wait for a new consignment which is on its way from Germany (which seems to close to my pen pal Geertje). It is estimated to arrive Friday 6 Feb but I have been warned it could take longer as there are normally quite some time delays at customs. So, for the moment I have rescheduled chemo for Wed 11 Feb. This morning as I was lying in bed still feeling the after effects of the anaesthetics and the pain in the shoulder, I was very grateful that I did not have the side effects of chemo at the same time and besides that I can now enjoy a glass or two of bubbly on my birthday tomorrow. Every happening / event in life always happens for a higher bigger reason, which is for our better.

No comments: