Monday, October 22, 2007

Thu 18 Oct 2007

How a persons whole life can be shattered within a few minutes. It is a sure fact that we are all going to die, but when death stares you squarely in the eyes, it is a very emotional matter to get to grips with !!

The background:

End July I went to see my gynie Dr V for my annual checkup. During this visit I explained the problems I had been having with intermitted bleedings.... probable cause being my age (46) and the onset of menopause. Dr V did the internal examine and found some things not being ok... so off we went to the scanning room where we found an ovarian cyst on my right ovary. It was about 7cm in diameter and looked quite normal with clear liquid. We agreed that I would go onto the teenage pill Yasmin for two months as ovarian cysts are fairly normal and they come and go naturally - the extra hormones would just assist this process.

About 5 weeks later I go see Dr V again. The cysts is still there and has now grown to about 8cm. Not much growth, but the content has become toxic and it was starting to make more ancilliary cysts. After discussion with Dr V we agreed that I needed surgery to remove the cyst. Surgery was planned around my working schedule for 6 weeks hence.

Monday 15 Oct 2007 I went to see Dr V again quickly before the planned surgery. The Cyst was still there and had grown into a healthy 13cm diameter presence. Monday evening Dr V said the surgery had gone very well, he removed the complete right ovary, my womb and quite a few smaller cysts from my left ovary. The left ovary looked very healthy and the balance of my internals looked great! (good stuff to know :) )

All the daily checkups with Dr V went well until Thursday morning. I was sitting in my hospital bed, quite happy after a lovely shower waiting for my 5 star breakfast to arrive. About 0745 Dr V phones me and asks if I am alone and can he come chat to me..... oh dear that means not good news!

And the news: Ovarian cancer Stage 3B This means the cancer has spread from the one ovary to the other but has also spread into the abdominal cavity where lesions smaller that 2cm can be found (technical description from wikipedia). I must get Chemo.

The balance of Thursday was a blur with various doctors visiting my bedside and all sorts of scans / x-rays and blood tests.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

My brave friend, I know that this blog is going to help so many people. You are very special xx

Tertia said...

Oh my friend, I had no idea! What an absolute shock. My heart is in my throat. I am off to read your other posts.

Much love
Txx

RicharD said...

May the force be with you

Erwin said...

Gosh Alida, this strikes me the more you were in Antwerp amongst all of us just the week before..Wish you all the strength and keep your chin up as it will result in +NRG..Though far away, I am very close..

Patricia said...

Hi Alida.... its me Patricia... I still feel so bad that I didnt phone you last week to find out how you were (even though sincerely I thought about you alot) and then the phonecall.. I think its a great idea to buy nice jammies and make your environment beautiful... When I was sick I always felt better when my mom ran me a hot bath and changed my sheets and then I put on fresh pair of jammies... I know your mom will be with you soon. Anyway this is the first blog I have visited even though I have heard about Tersias so much from Chantal... I want to make you and your family a dinner (heaven help you) and will phone you to find out if convenient for me to drop off xxxx

Unknown said...

Hi Alida.

It was a big shock to me when I heard today.I remembered all the times you took the time to console me when my daughter got ill and also my mom.The special hugs you gave me and always caring wanting to know whether I was ok. I wanted to give you a call but emotionally I would not have been able to say anything.I want you to know that I will keep you and your loved ones in my prayers. "Our times are in they they Hands Lord".

Go well and all the best. Will keep in touch.
Love Graziana